BitComet was first released in 2003 for torrenting. Its designers created the client with the C++ coding language. In general, the BitComet torrent client allows users to share and download files using peer-to-peer technology. Today, it is available in more than 53 languages. Check out our full review of BitComet:
- Device compatibility
- Set up guide
- Pros and cons
- Other tips
Upon release, the BitComet torrent client was only available on Windows devices. However, in the last few years, the software has become available for MacOS as well. As is common with torrent clients, BitComet is not available as a mobile application.
BitComet is a free torrent client. In addition, the software does not contain adware, which is common with other free clients.
In general, users of BitComet have access to a wide variety of features. They include (but are not limited to):
- Long-term seeding
- Sharing torrents while downloading
- Previewing files while downloading
- Pausing and resume downloads without restarting them
- Multiple downloads possible
Set Up Guide
In general, the BitComet torrent client is easy to use and set up. Start by following these steps:
- Go to the BitComet website.
- Navigate to the downloads tab at the top of the page.
- Hit the download button. It should automatically install the correct version for your computer.
- Follow any accompanying installation steps based on your device.
Pros and Cons
Like with any type of technology, there are pros and cons associated with BitComet. These are just a few of them:
- BitComet is a free torrent client
- The client offers a functional search tool for finding downloads
- Even though the software is free, it does not contain ads
- Overall, BitComet is easy to install
- BitComet is not available on Linux. It only recently became available on MacOS and may be buggy
- Although installation is reasonably easy, the overall user interface is more complicated than necessary
- Users can’t limit the bandwidth used on individual files
In general, when using a torrent client, you should also use a VPN. Many clients don’t have encryption built in, so your downloads and activities are public to others on the network. By using a VPN, you become anonymous and prevent your activities from being traced back to you.
If you need a torrent client but aren’t sure if BitComet is right for you, check our reviews of other torrent clients: