When torrenting, users must select a torrent client. Vuze is one such client. Previously known as Azureus, the software came out in 2003 under a General Public License. However, new releases have become more restrictive with licensing. The Vuze torrent client comes with many features and allows users to download two different versions. Is Vuze right for you? Take a look at our quick review:
- Device compatibility
- Set up guide
- Pros and cons
- Other tips
Vuze offers both a free and paid version of their software. Both versions are supported on Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. However, Vuze is only available for use on desktop. This is standard across much of the industry because torrenting on mobile is not yet popular. Although users can’t torrent on mobile devices, Vuze does offer a remote app to control desktop functions.
Many users will opt for the free version of the Vuze software. However, users looking for an upgraded and ad-free experience may consider buying Vuze Plus. Currently, Vuze Plus starts at $3.99 a month. The software also goes on sale from time to time.
Vuze is one of the most feature-heavy torrent clients on the web. Users who want high functionality for a low price (or free price) can use these features.
Vuze Free and Vuze Plus
- Enjoy access to torrent bundles.
- Access magnet link support.
- Supports media playback and device playback by detecting devices and allowing video conversion.
- Discover content with the integrated meta-search function.
- Customize your experience with the Vuze plug-in library.
- Fully control your torrents with a wide selection of settings and options.
- Control your desktop functions with web or mobile app remote controls.
- Supports swarm discoveries.
Vuze Plus Only
- Burn media to DVDs from within the software.
- Protect your device with built-in anti-virus protection.
- Enjoy ad-free use.
- Play media while it’s downloading.
Set Up Guide
Overall, Vuze is largely user-friendly. It can be navigated by beginners and pros alike. Installation is simple with these steps:
- On the Vuze website, click the free download button. The site should automatically the correct file for your device.
- Follow the installation prompts for your computer.
- When the software automatically opens, follow the Getting Started instructions. If the software does not open automatically, open it manually.
Pros and Cons
Overall, Vuze is user-friendly and feature-packed. However, it isn’t without its drawbacks. These are the pros and cons all torrenters considering Vuze should know:
- The user interface is clear and well-defined.
- You can expand the features with an expansive plug-in library.
- Vuze offers a wide variety of settings to fully customize your experience.
- The website includes a thorough Help and Support section and the software includes easy-to-follow instruction guides.
- Vuze has a ratings and comments function that allows users to verify the safety of their files before starting the download.
- The free version of Vuze contains ads.
- Vuze attempts to bundle their torrent client with other bloatware which takes up space on your computer and may annoy users.
- Although Vuze offers antivirus security, it is only available in the paid version of the software.
- Vuze occasionally suffers from slow speeds.
Although Vuze is a fairly robust, feature-heavy torrent client, there are a few ways to improve the service even further. The most important is using a virtual private network. A good VPN serves many purposes. They include:
- Increasing Anonymity: No matter the torrent client you use, there is always the chance that others can see your downloads. If you are torrenting illegal content (copyrighted, etc.), this can result in serious consequences. Using a VPN prevents this problem by making you anonymous.
- Improved Encryption: In addition, a VPN creates a secure, encrypted tunnel for your file transfers so they can’t be intercepted or viewed by third-parties.
If Vuze isn’t the right torrent client for you, take a look at our reviews of other popular services.